BEGINNER TAEKWONDO PROGRAM
- Beginner Taekwondo classes are available for adults and children ages 4 and up. We offer afternoon and evening classes each semester - Fall, Winter, Spring and Summer - following the Fair Lawn Public Schools calendar. We offer students an option of attending class one day per week, however, we highly recommend that students attend class at least two days per week to obtain optimal training results for belt advancement.
- Beginners are introduced to the traditional art of Taekwondo, following the guidelines and regulations as set forth by the World Taekwondo Federation and Kukkiwon, the governing body for Taekwondo. We have added to those requirements our own unique blend of self-defense techniques that are derived from various styles of martial arts.
- Beginner Students are taught various blocks, kicks, and counter-attacks that are the basic requirements for all belt ranks. The techniques are introduced gradually to enable the natural progression and optimal training needed for rank advancement. We add target practice for application of techniques, as well as various drills and activities for speed, agility and reflexivity. Students will gradually be introduced to various self-defense techniques and other skills as they continue to train and advance in rank. With continued commitment and dedication, Beginner students will move up to the Intermediate and Advanced Programs, eventually attaining Black Belt status.
- Uniforms are optional for new students, but are required for students desiring to continue training after their first belt test. Our uniform consists of a White V-Neck Jacket and Pants, Black Shirt (preferably our School Shirt) and School Patch - all of which are available for purchase from Master Ro (Uniforms priced at $20 for child sizes and $25-$30 for adult sizes; School Shirts at $10 to $15; School Patches at $5)
- Belt Tests are available at the end of every semester, provided that the student has met all the necessary criteria for promotion. The Instructors will notify students of their eligibility and qualifications prior to the test date. Belt Tests require an additional fee, usually $25 for each Novice rank test. Please note that every individual progresses at his/her own rate, and that we only promote students who are ready and able to move up to the next rank.
- Expectations - Prospective students should keep in mind that training in martial arts requires discipline, commitment and patience. Dedication and effort obviously affect the outcome of success in training. We strive to engage students and we aim to keep them focused, fit and well balanced, physically, mentally and spiritually. We do our best to train each student, based on their capabilities, the rest is up to the individual.
- Commitment to training is necessary for success in Taekwondo. This is required not just for the students, but for parents, significant others and family members, too - their support is most essential in helping the student to maintain the level of commitment and dedication required to advance in Taekwondo.
Thank you for your interest in our school – for more information or questions, please do not hesitate to contact us.