Taekwondo is an honorable and highly disciplined sport, with lots of bowing and emphasis on respect. Rules are very important, and are always to be taken very seriously. The following rules apply in our DO-JANG (training room):
STUDENTS MUST ALWAYS DO THE FOLLOWING:
- Wait quietly out in the hallway if an earlier class is in progress (or enter quietly and begin your stretches in the back of the room, if it is permitted).
- Place your belongings in a neat pile against a wall, well away from the workout areas.
- BOW before entering or leaving the Do-Jang.
- BOW to the Instructors when they enter the Do-Jang, and whenever they call you or approach you.
- Line up quickly and quietly in rank order, six to a row, (highest belts first, from left to right).
- When you need to speak to the Instructors, either raise your hand and wait to be called on, or approach the Instructors, BOW and then wait patiently until you're acknowledged. NEVER interrupt or start talking without permission. Limit your discussion or questions to karate matters or other important matters.
- Address the Instructor with a proper title: Mrs. Insler, Sabomnim, or Ma'am. Younger children (ages 4-10) may use "Ms. Ro".
- Shout "YES, MA'AM!" or "NO, MA'AM!" when answering a direct question, or when the Instructors issue an order.
- BOW to higher ranking students or assistants, regardless of age; bow to students who have been assigned to help you; address them as "Ma'am" or "Sir".
- Address adult students (regardless of rank) as Mr., Ms., or Mrs. (i.e. Miss Sid, Mister Jess, or whatever name he or she prefers).
- Clean up after yourself. ABSOLUTELY NO FOOD OR DRINKS ALLOWED IN THE DO-JANG. Water bottles are allowed, but please be careful not to spill them. Garbage must be thrown out into a trashcan, not on the floors!
- READ any papers you take home from class. Children should show all papers to their parents. Parents: please ask your child if they brought anything home, and ask them about what they have learned in class--this lets them know that you care, and will also give them a chance to “practice“ their techniques.
RULES OF CONDUCT AND HONOR
The following rules are to be used both in and out of the Do-Jang, and should help you develop integrity and honor.
ALWAYS: GIVE ABSOLUTE RESPECT J PAY TOTAL ATTENTION J STAY FOCUSED J DO YOUR BEST J OBEY THE RULES J BE NICE TO OTHERS J BE PROUD OF YOUR GOOD DEEDS
NEVER: USE MARTIAL ARTS AGAINST OTHERS L CAUSE PAIN TO OTHERS L CAUSE PAIN TO YOURSELF L BE DISRESPECTFUL L BE CAUGHT UNPREPARED L BE INTIMIDATED L DO ANYTHING YOU WON'T BE PROUD OF